Top 20 things we love about Atlanta in October:
1. The weather: Would you believe day after day of gorgeous, sunny, cloudless days with 70 degree temperatures during the day and a nice nippy breeze in the evenings? It’s just unbelievable. This little Huffington, who grew up in the greyest of grey cities in Europe and pretty much never saw the sun from October to March, now drives a happy convertible and pinches herself every day that she spends with the top down, breezing through Atlanta in the perfect month of October.
2. College visits. OK, again this is personal, but since I have a senior in high school, October is the “family road trip” month to area colleges and what fun it has been! I don’t know if it’s special because every moment is precious or because it’s so fun to be on a college campus and to take in all the incredible opportunities that are available to beloved children. How many times has my husband said, wistfully and enviously, “I could go here!” – and I know he would! October is filled to the brim with college visits and we’re loving every one (unfortunately!).
3. It’s almost fondue time! Our little family loves to cook and eat wintry foods, starting with luscious soups made with fall veggies, and culminating with our Fondue and Raclette traditions around the Christmas holidays. So when the leaves start to change color, and the evenings are brisk enough for fires and sweaters, we immediately pull out the soup casserole and simmer away. Yummy!
4. The JDRF walk. We’ve been doing this for years and each year, we think it gets better. Now located at Centennial Park, the Walk attracts huge crowds of wonderful people who are all there to support a loved one with Juvenile Diabetes. The marvelous energy is contagious and it seems like it’s always a sunny day, even when it’s not. October wouldn’t be October without the JDRF walk. Of course, we all pray that the Walk will go away, with a cure for Diabetes. But meanwhile, raising over $1.5MM is a great goal – and certainly one that brings us all together like a big family on a wonderful October day.
5. Evenings on the back porch: about ten years ago, we added a wonderful porch with a fireplace to the back of our house. It survived the rebuild and to this day, is our very favorite hang out spot. On cool fall evenings, we light the fire, enjoy a yummy dinner and relish the fresh air.
6. Halloween: our neighborhood is home to dozens and dozens of kids and it’s so fun to see them all in their spooky, silly or sensational Halloween regalia. It’s a no-holds-barred time for outdoor decorations, which range from Party City fun-n-tacky to elegant displays of pumpkins, wheat sheaths, hay bales and tasteful scarecrows.
7. I’m with Ann: a big pot of butternut squash soup is the be-all and the end-all of fall cuisine.
8. Pull out the sweaters: this summer, we sweated and sweated through endless days of 90+ degrees. Now we’ve got no humidity and cool temps…it’s so refreshing!
9. College football: My fall social calendar is ruled by football games, and to be honest, I’m ok with that! I obsessively check the BCS rankings as much as any guy does. I love entertaining and spending time with friends, and watching football is the perfect way to combine these two activities.
10. Boots: Growing up riding horses, tall leather boots have always been a key component in my wardrobe. While I’m not showing anymore, I still enjoy wearing boots almost every day in the winter, either with skinny jeans and a sweater, tights and a dress, or leggings and a tunic.
11. Pumpkin: I love anything and everything pumpkin. When the first cans of Libby’s pumpkin appeared on grocery store shelves (by far the most superior pureed pumpkin out there), I literally went to 4 different Publixs and cleared out their inventory. When my mom makes her first batch of delicious pumpkin bread, I know fall has arrived.
12. I love listening to Classical Music while watching the leaves float to the ground.
13. I love the palette of Fall! All the oranges red and golden hues.
14. Soup! There is nothing better on a crisp fall day than a warm bowl of hearty chili.
15. Friday night high school football! I love watching my older son, Jack, play under the lights on a crisp fall evening while wrapped in a blanket sipping hot cocoa!
16. Central Park in fall - I snapped this photo this weekend after having brunch on the patio at Sarabeth's. The weather was perfect and I swear everyone we passed had a smile on their face in anticipation of a perfect fall. Well, except for the one cranky cab driver, but I over tipped him so he would feel guilty and I like to think he drove away with a smile.
17. Scarves - It's like getting a hug every time you wrap the scarf around your neck and it feels so cozy. If you have a scarf, often you don't even need a coat even in cold weather. It's a lot less hassle and can be tied in about a hundred ways. What's your favorite way?
18. Down Comforters - Nothing beats snuggling into bed under a down comforter. NOTHING!
19. Corn Chowder - It just seems to taste better with a bit of chill in the air.
20. And finally, every Huffington’s top twenty favorite thing about October in Atlanta?
The 20% off PARTNERS CARD!!
We’ve been big fans of the Partners Card for years, saving up our purchases over the summer so that we could benefit from the 20% off at dozens of wonderful local retailers while equally benefitting a wonderful cause.
This is the first year that we’re honoring the Partners Card at Huff Harrington and we’re proud to be a part of such a worthwhile event. One hundred percent of the proceeds from the card purchase supports Camp Twin Lakes, a not-for-profit organization that helps kids with serious illness, disabilities and other challenges.
The event runs through Sunday, October 31st (we’re closed Sunday so through Saturday, October 30th for us.) We’re selling the $60.00 cards here at the gallery, too, so it couldn’t be easier. Click here to see our participating artists and we hope you’ll join us for this win-win-win event!